Yes indeedy it is that time of year, If it’s SXSW it’s CXCW March 9th through March 15th
Let’s face it, we’re all too broke to go to Austin, and even if we had the money, we couldn’t get out of work anyway. There’s this pesky thing called “life” that keeps getting in the way. Allow us to introduce you to Couch by Couchwest.
CXCW is an annual online music festival that is for everyone. No badges, lanyards, bracelets, parking fees, ticket lines, exclusive parties, VIP tents, porta-potties, babysitters, dogsitters, expensive beer prices, or crappy hotel rooms…just the sweet comfort of your own couch. Here’s how it works, artists and bands from all over the globe record a video performance for us from their living rooms, kitchens, porches, bathrooms, you name it…pretty much anywhere but a stage…and we post them during the week of the festival (March 9 – 15, 2014).
Listen, you’re not the only person out there stuck in an office or a classroom or at home while all the supposed “cool kids” are trudging through the crowds of Austin. We are here for you, friends! So crack open a beer and a laptop, crank up the volume, and enjoy the couch!
Musicians: Please upload your unique to CXCW 2014 video (i.e. for the CXCW festival) to YouTube or Vimeo and send the link to us via the below form or to cxcwest at gmail dot com. (Think of this video as your performance for the Couch by Couchwest audience.)
- Videos do not have to be recorded on a couch, but they should be recorded essentially anywhere but a stage (we strongly encourage creativity). See these videos from CXCW 2012 for examples.
- Submitted videos should be unique (i.e. for the CXCW audience). Please do not send us promos, EPK’s, live concert footage, music videos, slideshows, etc…
- Low-budget iPhone videos are absolutely acceptable, in fact, they are encouraged.
- For the love of god, no lip syncing.
- You may do more than one video, but if we run out of time we may post both videos at the same time, or post only one. Your best bet is to do one kick-ass video that knocks our socks off!
- Please tag your video with “CXCW2014″ so that we may keep track of it on our YouTube channel (if you use Vimeo or some other service, please do the same).
- Also please include where you are from and any links you wish us to use (website, facebook, twitter, etc…) so that we may point our readers to you.
- If you are uploading your video prior to the start of the festival, please set it to “Unlisted”. This can be changed once the festival starts. Setting it to “Private” means we won’t be able to see it.
- We will be your new best friends if you submit your video link in this format – Youtube: Share: Embed: Video Size: 640 x 360/480, copy/paste
- We love all types of music and will try to post everything (unless overly offensive of course…i.e. Nickleback covers). Only Darius Rucker* is allowed to send in a video of “Wagon Wheel.”
*The Darius Rucker “Wagon Wheel” provision was enacted in 2012 well before his version was even recorded, and quite frankly, we are amazed and sickened at the power we wield. Proof. This provision still stands and is henceforth known as the Darius Rucker Wagon Wheel Provision of 2012.
Those in the crowd: we want to see how you spend the CXCW festival! Send us pics of your CXCW festivities, recipes, haikus, pet photos, avant garde performance art, kegerator, moonshine still, etc… viacxcwest at gmail dot com.
We are currently accepting submissions, but we will not begin posting them until March 9. Receiving videos ahead of time makes life a lot easier on this end, and allows us more time to watch videos and drink beer during the week (hint hint). The last day to submit photos/videos is at 12:00pm Noon Eastern/9:00am Pacific time March 15th!
Remember, we do hand out dubious awards at the end of the festival so be creative and get your rock on!
Where the beer is cheaper and the only hipster is you.
CXCW2014 Beardliest Beard & Mustachliest Mustache Contest
The fine folks at The Mod Cabin have graciously offered some of their premium beard and mustache care products to us, so what to do…HAVE A BEARD AND MUSTACHE CONTEST OF COURSE! Winner for each category will win a Mod Cabin prize pack which will consist of Beard Balm + Beard Oil set and Mustache Wax + Mustache Comb respectively. To enter simply tweet or email us a photo of your glorious face fur tagged with #CXCWbeard or #CXCWmustache
CXCW2014 Taco Tuesday Contest
Here at CXCW, Taco Tuesday runs from Tuesday to Saturday. Send us photos and/or recipes to be entered. Please tag with #CXCWtacos
CXCW2014 Waffle Taco Wednesday Contest
We want to see your best examples of the infamous Waffle Taco. Send us photos and/or recipes to be entered. Please tag with #CXCWwaffletaco
CXCW2014 Haiku Contest
It’s a CXCW tradition, tweet us or send us your CXCW Haiku to be entered. Please tag with #CXCWhaiku
CXCW2014 “Roll-Your-Own” Poster Contest
Budgetary cuts have forced CXCW to slash budgets and gut departments, and of course the lowly art department is the first thing to go. This is where you all come in friends. We know there are some talented people out there who can create MUCH better posters than we ever dreamed of, plus we enjoy seeing what you guys come up with. So this year we are announcing our CXCW Poster contest. Send us your best CXCW poster via twitter or email to be entered. All entries will be entered in the final CXCW2014 Raffle to win prizes from our prize pool. Please tag your tweet/email with #CXCWposter to be entered. To view the posters we have received, please visit our Downloads page.
CXCW2014 Poster Posting Contest
What good is having a bunch of awesome posters if they never get posted anywhere? Here’s how it works, choose from the posters on our downloads page and send us a photo of one posted somewhere. Around your town, at your favorite bar, on your own walls, in your Grandma’s bathroom, hell we don’t care and we LOVE creativity. Send us a photo via twitter or email to be entered. Make sure to use the tag #CXCWposter to be entered.
The CXCW2014 Prize Pool
Participants from all contests (except beard & mustache) will be entered into one big CXCW raffle at the end where we will draw names at random for each of the prizes listed below. Please note: you may participate as much as you like in each contest, but you will only be counted once per contest entered (example: You send in an entry for 3 contests, your name will go into the raffle 3 times. You send in 3 entries to one contest, you will go into the raffle once).
- Lusty Monk Mustard Gift Boxes
- Howling Monkey Hand Made CXCW2014 Organic Guitar Pick Set
- Americana Rock Mix Stickers
- NineBullets.net Stickers
- Nine Bullets Radio Koozies
- Nine Bullets Radio T-Shirt
- Country Fried Rock T-shirt
- Buffalo Gospel “We Can Be Horses” CD
Visit the CXCW Archives for a list of past performers, and highlights from previous year’s CXCW festivals.
Contact us at email@example.com
For video and photo submissions, please see the Submissions page.
Visit our Youtube channel for videos from past CXCW fests.
Text us: 240-CXCWEST (240-292-9378)